Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Frankenstein and the Lion

          Well, I had planned to blog Sunday night after my little Frankstein and Lion got to bed, but I just didn't have it in me for two reasons. One is because my throat is still hurting!  I had fun with Terry and the boys despite my sore throat, but it is rather frustrating that it hasn't gotten any better.  I am going to go to the doctor this afternoon.  The other reason is because my primary focus this week is putting the final touches on our class ladies retreat which is this weekend (I will blog more about that another day).  So, here I am a couple days after Halloween, but better late than never, right!
          A few weeks ago the boys and I put up some Halloween decorations.  I am like a kid by the way when it comes to holidays!  :)  Christmas is my favorite, but I like them all.  It is such a treat to view the fun through your children's eyes.  So, we were putting up some window stickers and Isaac asked who this one guy was.  I explained to him that his name was Frankenstein and it was then that Isaac declared that he wanted to be Frankenstein for Halloween!  It is kind of ironic because Isaac doesn't like scary things, but our Frankenstein decoration was smiling and wasn't scary to Isaac so he didn't know any different.  I wasn't thrilled about his choice of costumes and tried to get him to think of other things that he might want to be, but he was determined to be Frankenstein.  Sometimes I have ideas about what the boys should do on different occasions, but I have to remind myself that it is not about what I want.  I need to embrace what they want to do and enjoy it with them.  I wasn't thrilled with the Frankenstein costumes I saw online (there were none in the stores I went to), but I ordered the one that I thought looked the best.  Isaac's costume actually turned out to be really cute!  I painted his fingernails orange as he requested (the Frankenstein on our decoration had orange fingernails) and painted his face green.  I also put some cardboard in the hood of his costume to make his head look more square.  Hayden was a lion.  This is probably the last year that we will be able to use one of Isaac's old costumes for Hayden.  Next year he will probably have an opinion about what he wants to be.  If not, you will see another little Frankstein :)  Hayden was an adorable lion!  He even let me color his nose brown and give him some whiskers.  I didn't know if he would keep the costume on, but he kept it on the whole time.
             Sunday afternoon we went to trunk or treat at Campus.  They had games, lines of cars the kids could go trick or treating at, and an inflatable.  The boys had a great time and it was fun enjoying the afternoon as a family.  Hayden really got into collecting candy.  He wasn't shy at all and he always made sure he had one piece of candy in each hand.  When I first started taking the candy from him to put in the bag he got upset, but then he quickly understood that when I did this that meant that he could go and get more candy!  I loved seeing all the cute kids and their great costumes!  I admire those who can make their own costumes and/or come up with something truly unique.  After we got home, had dinner, and rested I took the boys to a few neighbors' houses while Terry stayed home to hand out candy.  By the end of the night we had Tons of candy and two very worn out little boys!  What a fun day!


Lets Go!

Ready for Trunk or Treat!








Two very tired little boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment